Posted to alt.home.repair
TakenEvent TakenEvent is offline

Default Remodeling & lead-based paint

wrote in message
oups.com...
My husband and I normally do all the remodelling in this house.
Previous owners said the outside wood siding (underneath the current
vinyl siding) has lead-based paint on it. Had the whole house tested
and sure enough only the outside has lead.

Husband refuses to install two much-needed new bay windows in 2
separate front rooms. Called several "good" contractors in the area -
none of them have procedures to carefully remove old windows without
disturbing (or at least taking precautions against) lead-based paint
dust. One said he did this for 20 years and no one has ever asked him
about lead.

I have an infant whose new fascination is putting everything in her
mouth.

Am I being overly cautious? Should I just let the contractors do their
thing and just clean up stuff myself afterwards? (HEPA filters, TSP
soap, etc.) Is it unreasonable to expect a contractor to do things
properly with regards to lead?

Lead is not a big deal in your case. Keep the infant away from the
construction, and clean up the yard after it's done using a rake and a shop
vac. If you keep the jobsite clean, there shouldn't be enough exposure to
harm your baby. Lead poisoning comes mostly in the form of either eating
paint chips or continual exposure to the dust. People have been surviving
both the application of lead paint and living in homes covered in lead paint
for a very, very, long time.

Here's a link for more info:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5054.html

Don't let that contractor fool you; notices regarding lead paint are on
every paint can these days. There won't really be a lot of lead exposure
when installing windows. If the contractor has to cut or sand wood coated
with lead paint, he can wear a dust mask or respirator, though with 20 years
of experience I doubt this'll be the proverbial straw.

If your exterior paint contains lead, you should definitely paint the house.
That will take care of the dust and much of the chipping. There is no good
reason for not getting your windows installed.