Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

wrote:
So I bought a great vacuum cleaner from selfridges .. has been working
fine

..until today

Starting smelling a very worrying burning smell (like plastic on fire)

Overheating motor. Bag full/filters clogged. Remove all and run..if it
revs a LOT higher than when put back together you have a problem.

.. last night... I sucked a fly up into it... it's a 2200W hoover... I
usually use RAID spray to zap any flies that **** me off... but it was
entertaining to suck it up...

Erm... should I take it back to the shop?

Maybe I sucked up a big metal object or something? i dunno

No. More like lots of fine dust.