Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] naztazia@gmail.com is offline

Default Remodelling & lead-based paint

My husband and I normally do all the remodelling in this house.
Previous owners said the outside wood siding (underneath the current
vinyl siding) has lead-based paint on it. Had the whole house tested
and sure enough only the outside has lead.

Husband refuses to install two much-needed new bay windows in 2
separate front rooms. Called several "good" contractors in the area -
none of them have procedures to carefully remove old windows without
disturbing (or at least taking precautions against) lead-based paint
dust. One said he did this for 20 years and no one has ever asked him
about lead.

I have an infant whose new fascination is putting everything in her
mouth.

Am I being overly cautious? Should I just let the contractors do their
thing and just clean up stuff myself afterwards? (HEPA filters, TSP
soap, etc.) Is it unreasonable to expect a contractor to do things
properly with regards to lead?

Thanks.