Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead Craven Morehead is offline

Default "Singing" Lightbulbs???

Trying to keep the techno-babble to a minimum here, some bulbs are more
prone to this than others. You might try to isolate which bulb or brand is
humming. Also, not all dimmers cause this. Usually the more expensive
dimmers do not.

Finally, the reason some bulbs hum is....they don't know the words ;-)

"06FLSTCI" wrote in message

I have a three bulb (actually it's a three "globe"), fixture in my
kitchen. I turn it on with switches that have dimmers built in. It
all works great except one thing:

I notice that when the light is dimmed, (not turned on all the way),
the bulbs, (globes, whatever), hum. They make a very audible low
whistle. I can just turn the dimmer up all the way and it goes away.

These globes and the fixture all are brand new.
I assume there's nothing wrong or broken, just wondering if this is
common and if there's an easy fix.

Thanks!