Posted to rec.woodworking
marson marson is offline

Default Installing radiant heat floor in shop

Lew Hodgett wrote:
arw01 wrote:

Tried.

Only 2 contractors in my area

One wants $7000 for materials and install + the concrete!
They bid $1500 for foam, pex, and mesh and I pick it up

Pex is $268 delivered on EBAY with a profit for the seller
Foam I am still priving but I have found the local wholesaler and they
don't recommend buying from the floor guys
Mesh or Rebar, i understand I can get rebar and tie it myself for less
than the mesh.

I have to find out how deep the pex is supposed to be now.

Second issue is contractor number 2 does not return calls.

That leaves me on my own to figure it out.

Looks like they have enough work or very big egos.

Good luck.

Lew

we use sand, then foam, then tubes. i think you would be crazy to skip
the foam under the slab as another poster suggested. unless you own
your own hydro plant or oil well or something. the tubes are stapled
to the foam. menards here in mn sells everything you need, including
staples. get 300 foot rolls, as that is the maximum loop length you
are allowed. 1000' foot rolls are not managable without an unreeling
gizmo. do you have a tubing layout plan? most of the time, the tubes
are 12" on center, 6" oc on the perimeter. with a sheet of graph paper,
you could get your own layout figured out. i built a small house this
winter, 24 x 32, and it took 3 300' loops. good luck.