Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Septic Tank & Cottage with 0.1 Acres - Percolation Area etc...

Peter Crosland wrote:
That was the fix-up I ended up with, once we found the discharge field
was choked. AngliaPolution Control retrofitted a shield, aerator and
air lift pump into my existing septic tank, got me an Environment
Agency certificate to discharge into a watercourse, and worked the
discharge pipework into existing drains. Bottom line 2.5K raher than
7K for a new digestor to be fitted.

Out of interest how long ago was this?

Peter Crosland

I installed my Biodisc - without any pumps - for about 7 grand from
green field to working in 2002 or 2003.

Fortunately the fall from the house to the tank and from the tank to the
ditch was adequate.

Although ISTR a certificate being needed, it was a total formality -
these units are cleared for discharge into any water course.

Compared with the original tank - a three chamber brick thing, which
stank at the outflow, this is totally whiff free. Apart from the time
the pulley fell off the shaft and it stopped working. Which prompted me
to lift the lid and see why...and also to get the guys in to empty it.
After 3 years it wasn't even half full...