Posted to alt.home.repair
aspasia aspasia is offline

Default Clothes washer stopped

My clothes washer is a Maytag, probably 10 years old at least, that
has never given me any trouble.

Today I put in some clothes and set the dials as usual. Suddenly
noticed things were too quiet. Opened washer. Water had filled to
desired level, but was not agitating.

Light was still on; electricity OK.

I moved the dials to all settings, checked everything, but no luck.

Went to my neighborhood appliance dealer. They said it was probably
the switch that indicates "lid closed". Sometimes it sticks, or..?
Suggested I bang the lid down hard a few times, and/or insert knife
blade to push switch in. Did all that. No luck.

What else could be wrong? Appreciate any suggestions.
Need to decide whether it's worth paying for a service call, or get a
new washer (not a happy alternative; $$$ situation is bleak).

Thanks!

Aspasia.