Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:00:07 -0400, Leuf
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:04:47 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:48:50 -0400, Leuf
wrote:

Bull****. How bout when someone walks up behind you while you are
making a cut and scares the crap out of you? I have had this happen.
What if something big and heavy falls over somewhere in the shop and
scares the crap out of you while you are making a cut?

Frankly, Leuf, those are very weak arguments to put forth in the
interest of Gov mandating a technology that adds significant cost to
the machinery.
Maybe the big heavy thing falling over will do more harm to you than
the TS could.

I would beat the **** out oif them with whatever I was cutting. Is
this something your "friends" do to you?

My Dad actually, so no, I can't kill him. And I don't mean he
intentionally tries to scare me, it's just that when you're working by
yourself and totally focused on your cut and can't hear anything and
then suddenly there's someone else nearby you get startled.

Years ago my wife did something similar and it never happened again as
I sat her down and explained the potential for danger.
On the job can be a challenge at times. Other subs walking behind me,
etc, etc. But its only when I don't pay proper attention to my
environment that things get risky. With all due respect to your Dad,
you need to make some noise with him. Like many other pieces of
equipment in our daily lives, a TS can go from innocuous to dangerous
in a moments notice...as based on the negligence of the operator.

I had to make sure the saw was pointed at the main door so I could see
him come in. I also keep the lights that are on the main switch off,
supposedly to save electricity because it also turns on all the rest
of the lights in the basement. When that light is on I know to be on
high alert for the wandering tool thief.

-Leuf