Posted to rec.woodworking
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default Turning Workmate into workbench

boorite wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I hate the B&D workbenches...you cant get a good sweep of the hand
plane because the workbench wants to take the plane elsewhere other
than the wood.

That's why I weighted mine with so much geology. Still, if you use
hand tools all the time, especially planes, my bench would only just
get you by in a pinch.

The reason I got the Craftsman instead of the B&D is durability.
Reviews of the B&D tend to note really flimsy packaging that results
in damage, plus some fussy, breakable parts in the clamping mechanism.

In all honesty at some stage or other you will encounter numourous problems
working on it whether you have adapted it to take that platform or use it
as it came.

It looks like you have the room there for a proper workbench but lack the
ingenuity to hang things on the wall high or build a couple of shelves or
even put struts across the ceiling and hang stuff up there. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite