Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Garage power supply - Recap [Longish]

Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

Oh, and in case anyone mentions Part P - I think that what I am doing
is probably covered by Part P. AIUI, extending an existing radial
circuit isn't, but when you start taking it outside, it is. The
building itself is exempt from building regs, being a detached garage
of less than 30 M^2 floor area, and meeting the other exemption
conditions. My inclination therefore is to forget about Part P and
hope that it gets lost in the noise when the property is eventually
sold (hopefully far into the future). Nevertheless, I want to ensure
that I end up with a 'safe' electrical installation - hence the
questions.

a) It's covered by part P

Yup, agreed.

b) I'd google anyone I was buying a house from, and find this thread.

I bet few would though.... still its certainly possible.

(I hope you like reading - there are getting on for 10,000 posts that
mention Rogers's name!)

c) It probably won't get lost in the noise, because it's the noise that
is precisely the problem when buying a house. Well, that and solicitors
covering their backs.

I expect a few years into the future they wil be showing as much
interest as they do in FENSA certs now (i.e. getting progressively less)

d) But, if I found it by google, I'd then chat to you, and provided I
was convinced that you knew what you were doing and did it properly, I'd
tell you to forget about disclosing anything about it, and the
solicitors would never be the wiser. Much the best way.

Yup, I would much rather find evidence of someone asking sensible
questions before doing a job!

Anyway, just pointing out that posting plans to ignore buildings control
isn't a good idea when done under your real name!

Hmmm, doubt there are many on this group who haven't wrt part P!

--
Cheers,

John.