Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Chalk line - how to use it?

George E. Cawthon wrote:
wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
wrote:

My 2nd attempt at roofing was over bare plywood decking, and I had to
redo it since I originally laid down only horizontal chaulk lines but
not vertical ones. The alignment looked fine to me while I was on the
roof, but from the ground it was a completely different matter. So
chaulk lines are a good idea.

Why would one ever put down vertical chalk lines?

Because I lack the talent to get the horizontal alignment correct
without them, and the shingles I used were about 1/4" wider than the
originals

Not to start a discussion, but I don't see how
vertical chalk lines help one align things
horizontally. Normally one aligns a horizontal
thing with a horizontal line. Don't see what the
difference wider shingles would make either,
unless one put them on top of the originals and
then you just align the new shingles by butting
them up to the lower edge of the original shingles.

Yep. In any case, I prefer to use a shingle hatchet. Well worth the
purchase price even doing just one roof, I just finished 2 sheds and a
2 car garage last summer and never used a chalk line except for the
ridge caps (hip roofs). Slap shingle down, adjust with hatchet twice
to set the exposure ( three times on the course starts for the offset)
nail and done. On a larger roof I would probably do a chalk line up
toward the middle.

Harry K