Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber Beachcomber is offline

Default Advanced 4-way circuit question

On 11 Sep 2006 14:46:53 -0700, wrote:

I have 5 rows of lighting I need to control from 3 locations.
2 of the locations would be to just power on and off.
The 3rd location would be for dimmer control. However, I need
independent dimmer control for each of the 5 rows.
I know by wiring a single 4-way circuit, I can control power on and off
at all 3 locations, but this would power on and off all 5 rows at the
same time.
Since I only need power control at two of those locations, I was
thinking of wiring it as follows:
- source power to the first 3-way switch (power control point)
- then continue the circuit to the 4-way switch (power control point)
- then continue the circuir into a junction box to split out to 5
3-way dimmer switches

The intent would be for the 5 3-way dimmers to control each of the 5
rows independently.
Can this be done without causing a problem ?

Wire each row with a master X10 or Insteon dimmer switch.

The individual switch locations can be dimmer control or ON/OFF toggle
functions. The Insteon, which is newer technology, give you the
ability to have a remote status indicator of the dim level at each
switch control. No special wiring is necessary (see below).

Try to put all devices on one hot leg of your incoming 240 V. service
(I am boldly assuming you are in the North American power system...If
not, please disregard.... Sorry)

Not doing so can cause control failure problems. There are products
that bridge the hot legs to transfer carrier current control signals,
but it is nicer not to be forced to use them.

http://www.smarthome.com/

is a source of products. They are not particularly inexpensive.

Beachcomber