Posted to alt.home.repair
Bart Byers Bart Byers is offline

Default GE Silicone II

Frank wrote:
MLD wrote:
"Bart Byers" wrote in message
A year ago I bought a tube of Silicone II caulk for use with a caulk
gun. I found I didn't need it. It sat unopened in my house until a few
days ago.

I had a pair of athletic shoes whose heels caved in after three days of
walking. The space under the inner sole was mostly voids. I figured I
could fix the shoes by filling the voids with Silicone.

Apparently the Silicone had gone bad. It took a lot of pressure to pump
it out of the tube, and in three days it hasn't cured.

Is that a common problem? Is there anything I can do to cure it?

The tube says GE will replace the Silicone if I send them the tube and
proof of purchase. That sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Will you be surprised to learn that tubes have "used by date" on them. I
had a similar problem and noticed the 'use by date ' and it was months
beyond it. Returned the tube and got another that had more than a year(s)
left on it--I think I got it at Home Depot.
MLD

Silicone cures by elimination of acetic acid. Think some moisture is
necessary but if it got wet and acetic did not evaporate, this may be
source of curing problem. I had an old tube of their Silicone I and in
spite of careful sealing (Saran and aluminum foil) tip had hardened but
rest was still good. Part of problem is that sealant is in plastic
tubes and these tubes are not completely impermiable like glass or
metal.
Frank

RTV Silicone released a vinegar odor. My only problem with it was like
yours: when stored after it was opened, it would cure from the tip down.
I could salvage a lot by drilling out the cured caulk.

Silicone II smells like candy and releases ammonia and I think methanol.