Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff, WB8NHV Jeff, WB8NHV is offline

Default Mini Stereo Problem

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Homer J Simpson wrote:
"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message

It seems very much like when I spin it not very quickly it works
fine. It's when I try for a quick change in volume that it tends to
slip. I suppose it will only get worse over time. I presume there's
no chance of rejuvenating the current encoder, eh?

If it's bad contacts, moving it a lot may fix that. Otherwise you
need to blow tuner cleaner spray into it (not WD40). But no
guarantees.

No guarantees indeed. For all the labor involved just to get to the thing,
it's best just to replace it. I've had spotty luck cleaning these things,
even using a fiberglass brush and Caig De-Oxit. The control is pretty well
sealed, so you can't just spray stuff in there, you have to take it apart.
Given all that, the best option is certainly just to replace the part.

Mark Z.

My Aiwa CX-NA888 bookshelf audio system, bought new almost seven
years ago, has the same problem. I would simply use the remote to
adjust the volume and put up with what little aggravation this might
cause. (It seems to me the control on yours is basically working, if it
will change the volume smoothly as long as it is rotated slowly; mine
is like that too.)

I've seen a round component through the air vents in my system which
might well be the volume control. As Mark Z. said, though, if the
control in yours is sealed tighter than a drum (it wouldn't surprise me
if it was), your chances of getting any kind of cleaning solution in
there are slim to none. If your system basically works otherwise, I'd
just either use the remote for volume up/down or simply be careful how
fast the knob on the unit is turned. These sealed controls are not
meant to be cleaned, repaired or anything else other than replaced when
they go bad. Too bad, but that's offshore engineering for you these
days--replace, don't repair.

Jeff, WB8NHV (email address not shown to deter spammers)
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA