Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Stowe Doug Stowe is offline

Default re-introduction

John Grossbohlin wrote:
Nice to see you visit Doug.

RE teaching children. I had no luck finding any Sloyd books on woodworking
so I've been teaching my boys how to do things I'm doing myself. Recently I
had them resawing with a rip panel saw and then hand planning the board to
dimension. They did a good enough job that I'm using the boards in a project
for the drawer sides. Also had them scribe about 270 lf of sleepers for a
floor project and they've been helping me reside the house and paint. They
started helping me with the renovations two years ago at ages 6 and 8.
They're old-pros now at 8 and 10! After hanging out with Roy Underhill for a
few hours they have come to understand that you don't need power tools. I'll
be checking out your blog!

John

John, you are doing the right thing with your boys. The important thing
about sloyd is the theory behind it...how the use of the hands
reinforces the development of intelligence (and so much more). The
sloyd books have become impossible to find. I'm still trying to get a
publisher interested, but haven't had luck as yet.

It is nice to see some old friends in the newsgroup.

very best wishes,

Doug