Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Advanced 4-way circuit question

On 11 Sep 2006 14:46:53 -0700, wrote:

I have 5 rows of lighting I need to control from 3 locations.
2 of the locations would be to just power on and off.
The 3rd location would be for dimmer control. However, I need
independent dimmer control for each of the 5 rows.
I know by wiring a single 4-way circuit, I can control power on and off
at all 3 locations, but this would power on and off all 5 rows at the
same time.
Since I only need power control at two of those locations, I was
thinking of wiring it as follows:
- source power to the first 3-way switch (power control point)
- then continue the circuit to the 4-way switch (power control point)
- then continue the circuir into a junction box to split out to 5
3-way dimmer switches

The intent would be for the 5 3-way dimmers to control each of the 5
rows independently.
Can this be done without causing a problem ?

You're not being clear as to what you want to do...

You have five sets of lights (A - E),
you want to be able to control power on/of
independantly for each of A-E from either
of points 1 or 2, and the brightness of
each of A-E from point 3?

Either way, it sounds like a candidate for X-10
switching.

It's that, or run a minimum of 12 conductors,
and use 10 DPST switches and 5 dimmers.