Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tom.henricksen@gmail.com is offline

Default Two fuses blow together but not seperately

Pat wrote:
A couple of more questions before anyone can say if all is okay.

First, look inside the box. Do the red lead and the black lead come
from the same wire or separate wires? This is very important.

Separate wires. In the box there are three romex cables coming in two
with white, black, and ground. The third has all three plus the red
wire. All three blacks are taped together to give one black that goes
to the receptacle.
..
Second, go look at the breakers that trip together. Are they
side-by-side?

Yes there is one on top of the other.

Do they have a little metal wire connecting the switch
part. Some breakers have a small hole in the handle that you touch.
Then there is a small wire going from that breaker to the one next to
physically connect them so they have to go off together. Are your
breakers like that?

Do I need to take the cover off to see this wire?

Is it possible to turn off one and not the other?

I can turn them off seperately.

Go try it.

wrote:
I capped off the red wire and all works fine now. I didn't break the
tab on the red wire screw. Is there a problem just leaving that just
capped off?

Depending on the answers to the above questions, maybe yes and maybe
no.

In the mean time, disconnect the black and reconnect the red. I would
imagine everything works fine that way, too. We need to know that.

Yes I did reconnect red and disconnect black and everything works fine.

Should I just clip the tab and reconnect both?