Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gnk gnk is offline

Default Toshiba CX2178C TV

Dave wrote:
A bit more info:

As an aside, the main filter cap is a 200V 470uF electrolytic. Just to avoid
painfully shocking myself I was going to discharge it prior to messing
around. Right after powering off the set this cap only read 400mV on my
meter! I shorted the cap with a resistor, then tested using my DMM set on
20M resistance scale expecting to see zero resistance slowly rising to
infinite resistance. What I got was infinite resistance right away, like an
open circuit.

Is this cap likely bad, or should I lift one lead for a better test? If
this cap WERE bad, would it keep the set from powering up? I had heard that
the filter cap could lose as much of 75% of it's capacity before you'd
likely see any problems. Also, anybody know how I might test the STR-D1005T
I removed from the circuit?

Check the following components: c840 16v330, c841 50v22, q802 str-d1005

If you don't have an ESR meter you may have to replace these 2 caps
to be sure that they are good.

Good luck