Posted to rec.woodworking
The Other Funk The Other Funk is offline

Default Consumer Product Safety Comm. to discuss proposed SawStop technology safety rule

Finding the keyboard operational
Joe Bemier entered:

Yeah, but they were *in the business* because they di the hard work
the old fashion way.
And, we would have to ask *why* is SS a fledgling operation....because
the product is not needed or wanted by the masses. A niche market,
yes. Gass cannot accept that, cannot go out and make the world
understand that his product is superior, to compete in the
marketplace.

SawStop (the product not the saw) has been available for a couple of years.
When Dr. Gass approached the equipment manufacturers, they all passed on it.
And they had every right to. My feeling is that no one manufacturer wanted
to either decrease their margin or increase their price.
Having a product that he believed in, Dr. Gass's company began making their
own saw.
Up to this point I don't think anyone has a problem with what went on.
So then, and here begins the problem, Dr. Gass goes to Washington to appear
in front of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Now everyone gets their
knickers in a twist. As of this minute, no one is telling you that you have
to buy a SawStop equiped table saw. You are still free to buy what ever you
like. In the future saws are going to be equiped with some form of blade
stopping mechanism. Maybe only Dr. Gass's but probably not. Do you really
believe that this whole thing came as a surprise to say Delta? Do you think
that somewhere back in Delta's product development dept. there is someone
working on a blade stopping device of their own?
Now I am not addressing the subject of the individual freedom to do whatever
you want to do. I have a posistion on it. You have a position on it. We can
leave it at that.
Respectfully
Bb
--?