Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default Shelf pins for bookcase with long span/heavy load

"blueman" wrote in message

Do you use glue to secure the sleeves or just assume a tight fit?

Tight fit only. In over 20 years of using sleeves in plywood, softwood and
hardwood, I've never had a sleeve come out or even noticed one start to come
out. The pressure is sufficient to hold them. Also too, if I'm going to
paint or stain or finish in any way, I do all that first with the sleeves
being one of the last parts of the construction process. Even with slight
splinters caused by drilling the holes for the sleeves, the outer, wider
edge of a sleeve finishes off a hole very nicely if it is pressed hard
enough into the hole to make it flush with the surface.