Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default Shelf pins for bookcase with long span/heavy load

"blueman" wrote in message

I guess, if possible, I would prefer to avoid a back column of holes
since it will be visible (even though pretty perhaps with the
sleeves). The holes on the sides will be less visible due to a
combination of the angle and the fact that the face frame will overlap
the sides by about 1/2" or so.

Sleeves will definitely add tear out prevention strength to your shelves and
are pretty cheap. I'd buy a small package of sleeves and use several to make
a mock up side to see if they're visually appealing enough to you.

When it comes to installing them, instead of hammering them in place, I've
found that you can make a neater installation by using a sleeve setting
punch and a clamp to press them into place.