Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Garage power supply - Follow up

John Rumm wrote:

Cheapest (but not smallest) option may be:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...0slash80N.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM7106B.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM7120B.html

OK, after a lot of deliberation, this is the one I've gone with - and the
bits have just arrived.

A couple of questions - surprise, surprise!

The live busbar is supplied in one piece. I'm sure I've read somewhere -
though it ain't in the instructions supplied! - that I need to cut this into
two in a place appropriate to how many ways I want protected by the RCD. Is
this correct.

There is already a live cross connection between the output of the main
switch and the input of the RCD. I assume that the part of the busbar
serving the non-RCD-protected ways needs to connect into the same output
from the main switch?

As supplied, neither the main switch nor the RCD will turn on. Is this
because they need a mains supply before they will operate, or are they duff?

Finally, bearing in mind that this is an insulated rather than metalclad CU,
what's the best way of terminating the incoming 6mm SWA cable? There's no
obvious place on the casing to fit an SWA gland. Do I need a junction box
next to the CU for this purpose?

Thanks.
--
Cheers,