Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Clean Oven Glass?

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Frank wrote:
Jim McLaughlin wrote:
Dan wrote:
Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan
Its an oven. Easy Off type foam spray oven cleaner.

You don't want to use strong caustic on glass. I clean my fireplace
windows by taking outside, and alternate Windex, hose and razor blades
until clean.
Frank

Why? You are more likely to etch glass with an
acid than a base. Easy Off is sodium hydroxide in
a foam and it doesn't hurt glass. I always use
Easy Off to clean fireplace glass.

Strong caustics etch glass. Acids (except HF) do not. You can get
away with using with short contact times, making sure you wash all the
caustic off. BTW, one drop of caustic in your eye could blind you.
Make sure you use eye and skin protection when using.

Also, I've never had a problem with careful use of razor blade although
I would not use one on window glass.

Frank