Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Toshiba CX2178C TV

Was given this TV in non-working order. It is dead. No response to any of
the front-panel buttons (no remote came with it).

There's one obvious relay on the AC circuit, closing this relay by soldering
leads together makes the tube come on, green with light-green line
horizontal-ish lines, but no power to any of the logic components, no
response to any button pushes.

There is an area on the PCB that looks as if it's gotten a bit too hot
around it. I de-soldered the IC at the epicenter of the black area and it's
a Sanken STR-D1005T "hybrid voltage regulator". According to the datasheet
(which, btw, looks as if it was typed on my old 1955 Royal typewriter
comlete with white-out blobs) reference circuit, it converts rectified AC at
~140-180VDC to 12VDC in conjunction with a transformer.

I've done a bit of electronic repair and have never run into such a beast,
can't make heads or tails of the circuit, but then I never really have
understood SMPS's.

Does anybody have a source for this part? I've checked all the usual
suspects, i.e. via findchips.com and am striking out. There are a few
distributors who'd gladly sell me 1000 or more but that would certainly go a
long ways towards negating the value of my "free" television.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dave