Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
carolyn carolyn is offline

Default double wall house construction details

marson wrote:

i'm about to embark on a project involving building a superinsulated
house with double 2x4 wall construction. The walls will be 9" thick
and will be blown with dense pack cellulose. i envision the vb going
on the warm side of the inner wall. i live in a very cold climate. i
have several questions:

Have you/they thought about using a 2x10 floor plate & header with staggered
2x4s at 16" on centre? The end result gives a 9 1/2" cavity for
insulation, while cutting the number of 2x4 studs roughly in half. In
theory there is less heat leakage through the wall, however there is a
solid header/floorplate to transmit the heat. I would suspect the overall
heat loss would be slightly lower, but I can't give you any numbers.

snip
--
Carolyn Marenger