Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Shelf pins for bookcase with long span/heavy load

blueman wrote:
I'm building a bookcase with adjustable shelves with a 46" span that
will likely carry some heavy books.

To cover the load, I am making the shelves 1.5" thick (double 3/4"
plywood).

I now want to make sure that the shelf pin setup I am using is as
strong as possible.

- Can I assume that all other things being equal, 1/4" pins will support
a heavier load than 5mm pins (since the diameter is larger)?

- Will using a "sleeve" in the shelf pin hole add strength and prevent
tearout from too heavy a load?

- Would adding a third parallel column of pins on each side support
*materially* improve the strength?

- Any other suggestions to maximize strength of a shelf pin setup?
(note: I would prefer not to add any intermediate supports)

- Finally, any feedback on the Rockler Shelving Jig? (it seems to do
the job, comes with self-centering bits, and is affordable)

Why don't you use the standard metal shelf support
rails (the ones with slots that use metal V
support clips) that are dadoed into the shelf
sides sides?

Sure 1/4" will support a heavier load than 5mm.
1/4" is about 6.4 mm. But you are talking about
shear strength. I can't imagine how much weight a
shelf would need to shear off four 1/4" pins
(dowels). Probably more than one could put on a
shelf using 12" high books.

No, don't use any kind of sleeve. just make sure
the pins are snug in holes that are accurately at
right angles to the shelf side and are drilled to
a depth of 1/2" and the pins extend about 1/4"
from the surface.