Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clogged toilet drain

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
.. .

I would not run a big snake thru the bowl trap.
CY: Too easy to scratch porelean?

Pull the toilet up.
If it's an old lead bend in the floor, you also
are at risk of perforating it with a snake. Beware.
CY: that's a thought. I don't know if there is a bend at the floor
level.

Have you done the "bucket test" yet? Pour a whole
bucket of water rapidly into the bowl. Will it overflow?
CY: The water level comes up when you flush the toilet. And drains
slowly.

You could try acid flush, but there are big risks in that too.

If you could snake down the stack vent, that may help.
CY: I'm starting to wonder. Might be time to check the other drains in
the house.

You probably have much better things to do... g
CY: That's for sure. Unless someone wants to pay me large ammounts of
money, this is getting a bit out of hand. Your last suggestion is the
best I've yet heard.

Jim