Posted to alt.home.repair
wayne wayne is offline

Default Furnace filters

I would pick up a 16 x 25 and see how it fits it is possible it
stretched and that made it longer and narrower!

Eigenvector wrote:

So I was gonna replace my gas furnace filter today before the cold
weather starts, or at least the cold night weather. But for the life
of me I can't find any information on or about my gas furnace -
except for the brand and the date of installation. Heck, even the
filter is one of those freeform washable filters that doesn't have a
cardboard border with the dimensions on it (basically just a
rectangular mat of green fibers that is totally impregnated with dust
and looks about a useful as a third tit). So I took it out and
measured it - it comes out to be 14x27

So I go out looking for a filter for it and no one I know of sells
anything even remotely like that size, 14x30 14x24 14x25 but not
14x27.

So anyway I have a Payne furnace installed in 1983, there is a wiring
diagram on the inside of the filter cover and that give a model
number of 397H or 375A but that's it. There's nothing on the outside
of the furnace and nothing that I could see on the inside where the
motor and burners sit.

So what's the story, the Payne homepage is about a useful as a 4th
tit and I couldn't pull anything up about a 375 or 397.