Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Guarino Greg Guarino is offline

Default Two fuses blow together but not seperately

On 10 Sep 2006 16:26:38 -0700, wrote:

I replaced four regular power receptacles this afternoon. Some on one
circuit some on another. There was one receptacle that had a red wire.
I wired the receptacle like the one that was there before. Black and
red on the same side opposite white. When I searched this group I see
the red is a switched power source.

Red doesn't have to be a switched line.

My problem now is a can't turn on
both circuits at once or they both blow. The funny thing is all
receptacles have power! That is very strange. Could the wires be
crossed giving power to the other circuit some how?

It sounds like the red and black are two hots on different phases. If
so, and assuming you're in the USA, you created a dead short with a
potential of 220 volts. That's bad.

You could get a meter and figure this out, but I'm reluctant to tell
you how if you don't know. It might be better to get an electrician.

Greg Guarino