Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Dacon Tom Dacon is offline

Default Fractional Caliper

You know, I thought about doing that too. But I decided to leave it alone,
since I'm firmly in the habit of re-zeroing every time I use it. And it's
always possible that someday I might want to use it to measure a difference.
Maybe I'd be sanding down an oversized dowel to fit a hole. I'd measure the
hole diameter and zero out the dial, then when i miked (calipered?) the
dowel I'd be directly reading out the amount it was oversized.

But a tiny dab of silicone sealer would be easy to break or to cut with a
razor blade.

Tom

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message
"Tom Dacon" wrote:

I have two fractional calipers of my own: a 4" plastic one, and a 6"
stainless steel one. Both came from Highland Hardware (now Highland
Woodworking). The 4" one lives in the pencil cup on the bench most of the
time, and the rest of the time in an apron pocket. The only problem with
it
is that every time I use it I need to check that the dial is zeroed

I had the same trouble with my 6" version from Lee Valley. I cured it
by setting it to zero and putting a small dab of hot melt glue on the
rim. It has not moved since, though I think I can break off the glue
if it ever becomes necessary.