Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross Gerald Ross is offline

Default any special jaws or centers needed?

Emily P wrote:
Thanks for your help! I'll check out the pen turners set.

When I bought the Jet mini they threw in a Nova midi chuck for $20.00.
Can I do the small spindles with this set up or will I need to pick up
additional chuck accessories or centers to get started?

After checking out a number of different woodturning catalogues and
online stores, I have to say that the variety or chucks, jaws centers,
spurs etc is a bit overwhelming. As a newbie turner it's hard to know
what all the different ones are for and which are applicable in this
situation.

For materials up to 1/2 inch diameter you can hold in a regular drill
type chuck which is available from most woodturning sites with a #2
Morse taper which fits into the spindle of your lathe. For items 1/2 to
about 1 1/4 a set of pin jaws for your chuck come in handy. The least
expensive place I have found for chuck jaws and chucks is KMS Tools.
Chucks are handy if you need to finish one end of the piece on the
lathe. The jaws that came with your chuck are probably bowl jaws
suitable for larger items.

When you install a set of jaws on a chuck, they are usually numbered 1-4
stamped somewhere on the jaw and should be installed on the movable part
of the chuck with the corresponding number.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A penny saved is a penny.