Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Cherry kitchen island...almost done (photos)

"todd" wrote in
:

My personal opinion is that you can't go wrong with granite. The nice
thing is that you don't have a whole kitchen worth of cabinets to do.
I don't see where you gave the dimensions, but it looks to be roughly
6 feet long and 2 feet wide, which would make the top roughly12-ish
square feet. I just bought granite tops for my cabinets from a local
granite shop at a bit under $50/SF. My suggestion is to not buy these
at a big box store. Find a local stone guy. Had we bought our
granite at Home Depot, it would have been $80+/SF. For something the
size you're looking at, they might even have a piece "laying around"
that they could make a deal on.

Good luck,

todd

I forgot what the one possible drawback to granite was, but we went with
Silestone (some 5 years back), and really like it. We have a really small
kitchen, and didn't want to give up diningroom to expand the kitchen. The
combination of light maple (store-bought) cabinets (with glass doors on the
top cabinets), an off-white speckled Silestone (I believe its "Mont Blanc")
counter and dark blue tiled backsplash makes the kitchen cheery and bigger-
looking than it is.

--
Best regards
Han