Posted to alt.home.repair
TakenEvent TakenEvent is offline

Default Painting aluminum garage doors

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...

Section 31 wrote:
I just bought some standard latex paint to paint aluminum garage doors.
The woman at Home Depot made it a satin finish. Is that Ok to paint
an exterior garage door ?

It's your door to do with whatever you please.

Is that standard ?

NO. It is not. Most aluminum doors are unpainted. You could just
try giving it a good cleaning with a power washer.

Perhaps you meant that most aluminum garage doors come pre-painted? I've
never seen an unpainted aluminum garage door. Even the metal service doors
come at least pre-primed. Paint does fade and otherwise become unsightly.

Latex paint will work just fine on aluminum. I wouldn't go any higher than
a satin sheen. Most people prefer either a flat or satin finish on the
exterior. Semi-gloss is just too shiny. Exceptions may include doors, but
rarely garage doors because they are so large.

Or should it have been
different such as eggshell or semi gloss ? Will satin last a long time
?

Not as long as High gloss enamel which is the longest lasting.

It is rare to see gloss paint on the exterior of a house. In fact, it's
rare to see gloss paint anywhere on a house.