Posted to alt.home.repair
TakenEvent TakenEvent is offline

Default Varathane on top of oil polyurethane

"m Ransley" wrote in message
If it is dulled and clean it will adhere, if it was water base over
unpreped water base it would not, your statement is wrong, its about the
prep.

Many times latex paints, for example, will peel or crack (sooner or later)
when applied over oil-based paints. That is one of the first things a
painter learns in the trade. Oil over latex works much better. So no, my
statement wasn't wrong, especially since my statement was that the OP should
find out from the manufacturer if the product can be used over oil-based
polyurethane. It can be used over oil-based stains, but nowhere on the
website is it mentioned about the poly.

And actually, if you went to the manufacturers website you could read where
they say that the main purpose of sanding (or dulling) between coats of
their waterborne urethane is to achieve smoothness. Adhesion is not really
a problem, so *your* statement is wrong. I do agree that a good paint job
is primarily the product of good prep work.