Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Air condition compressor concrete pad failure

miamicuse wrote:
((Snipped))

The pad is original, the AC was replaced a little over 10 years ago when I
purchased the property.

MC

To answer some of your questions: Pouring a pad
is fairly common. Bolting a large compressor may
be common but smaller ones like 2-3 tons often are
not bolted (certainly mine isn't and most of the
ones in my subdivision that I can see simply sit
on the pad. Sure a pad can fail after 20 years,
especially if there is a lot of vibration. If
your machine shakes badly then something isn't
balanced. Failure with steel reinforced concrete
is probably do to the shaking.

The simplest solution is to simply get 1/8" to
1/4" thick metal 4" wide and long enough to extend
from one foot to the next (across the broken
edge). Simply unbolt, mark the bolt holes on the
two straps, drill the bolt holes, lift one end of
the AC(a 2x4 and a pivot point should do it), slip
the metal in place under the legs and rebolt.

If you don't want to lift the AC any higher than
the thickness of the metal straps, use a 6" wide
strap and cut a slot from one edge to the middle
the strap so it can slide under the legs.

Then get the AC fixed so it doesn't vibrate so much.