Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default California pepper tree - experience?

Max63 wrote:

Anyone ever tried turning Schinus molle (California pepper tree)?
A big one is coming down in my yard this week. A trial branch I cut off
yesterday (4 inch d.) is releasing a milky substance just below the
bark. Time for sealing?

If you're talking about the one that usually develops a lumpy bumpy
trunk, drops little pale yellow flowerettes and later pinkish red
seed
cases and has milky white sap - it starts out with a LOT of moisture
and is somewhat elastic - the wood will squeeze under any pressure
from the tool and bounces back immediately after. SHARP edges are
a must. Dries very fast even in small diameter pieces since it all
seems to be more porous sapwood - almost no discernable grain or
color when "green" and not much different when dry -other than
a crack or two.

Hell it's wood - it's free - turn it!

charlie b