Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default Hardwood floors

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 05:44:48 GMT, Nirodac wrote:

I'm currently shopping for prefininshed oak flooring, for the
first time.
The samples I've been finding all visually appear to have a
grain, as you would expect, with oak. But when touching the
surface I can feel no grain imprint. Looking at it at an angle
shows no blemish or indent in the surface, it just looks flat
and artifical. Is this a real "clear" finish on real oak or is
it a printed on pattern. Looking at the end grain sort of gives
the impression that it is the real grain, but how do they get it
so damn smooth.

It is the difference between what can be accomplished in a highly
sophisticated and controlled industrial process as compared to
on-site.
I am working on a job currently where they will use Giordano (sp?)
flooring. I had a look at some samples and it is an incredible
product. Somewhere around $15/sq/ft I believe.