Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Fireplace condition

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

So looking at the firebox I notice that the fire brick is cracked and the
joint compound is missing in places. The shell of the fireplace is
cinderblock and looks air tight, I'm just talking about the firebox
itself here. Should the firebox be airtight inside? Should it have no
cracks or broken bricks or is that type of condition normal and not a
concern?

Fire brick is the first line of keeping the rest of hte house secure.
Missing mortar is a potential problem, but easily repaired. A tight crack
should be OK, but an air gap is a potential problem, THe chimney sweep
can see it and make a determination better than anyone here.

It was also noted when the inspection was done that the chimney is very
dirty, and looking at it it is very dirty - like an inch of ash and soot
on the walls of the chimney. I understand that this is a fire hazard, if
only because the soot can ignite and fly out the chimney and land on
either the roof or bushes or my neighbor's roof. But again am I mistaken
and this condition is normal?

Ash does not burn, but creosote does. If you have that much gunk on the
wall, it is a potential VERY serious problem. Again, I can't see it, but
there is probably enough creosote there to start a major fire. It should
be cleaned before even considering a fire.

It's not my intention of cashing in on my fire insurance any time soon so
I'd like to make sure I'm not overly concerned about nothing. BTW: I do
intend of having a chimney sweep come out and clean it, what do people
like that typically charge?

$100 to $200. How high is the chimney? Pitch of the roof? Condition of
the lining? How much to be cleaned?

Alright, so chimney sweep it is.