Posted to alt.home.repair
TakenEvent TakenEvent is offline

Default Varathane on top of oil polyurethane

"trbo20" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I refinished my yellow pine dining room floor last year, and the
chairs, baby, and general carelessness have taken their toll on the
gloss. When I initially did it, I applied six coats of oil semi-gloss
urethane and buffed with steel wool between every coat. Needless to
say, there is a very thick coat down at the moment.

I would like to buff the floors with steel wool once more and apply
another skim coat of urethane on it. The problem I have is that it's
a high traffic area and I can't really block it off for the time it
takes oil to fully dry. Because of this, I would like to use Varathane
instead. It's water based and should dry much faster without the
smell.

If I clean and scuff the surface properly, is there any reason why I
shouldn't use a water finish over an oil one? Like I said, the
oil's had a year to cure so I don't think that leaching will be an
issue.

In most cases, you do not want to put a waterborne product over an oil-based
product. If that situation is not addressed on the can, you should email
Rust-Oleum and ask. You don't want to deal with adhesion problems.

http://www.rustoleum.com/contact.asp?SBL=1