Spehro Pefhany

Default Gravity detectors

On 4 Jan 2004 10:42:11 -0800, the renowned
(brownnsharp) wrote:

Very Interesting!! Does everyone take the courses, or only the guys?

In the 50's when I was in Junior High, many of the guys took "shop",
which was a woodworking only kind of thing. One course, 1 hour twice a
week, for one year. I understand that most of these courses have been
phased out because of liability problems and expense.

When I was in HS (Southern Ontario, early seventies), the guys took
shop- electrical, auto, woodworking, drafting and machine shop, all
beautifully equipped with the latest equipment (including even EDM
machines) in a very new facility. Kind of a "golden age", I think.
Even those who were not that interested at the time learned a lot. The
"two year program" guys who were definitely not on a college or
university track took more intensive shop courses to prepare them for
their future in the trades. From what I've seen virtually all of that
stuff is gone now, and all the kids go the four years (was four or
five, depending) regardless of their abilities and interests.

I have always been horrified at how little technology, aside from
computers, is taught in the modern American school. Most people just
kinda pick it up as they grow older.

Brownnsharp

Or not.

Best regards,