Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Remove one section concrete sidewalk?

On 9 Sep 2006 09:41:54 -0700, "
wrote:

Can anyone tell me the best method to remove one section of concrete
from a sidewalk? I have one row of 4' x 4' of concrete blocks and one
is pretty bad. I thought of patching it, but I'd rather just remove it
and repour that section. I rented a cut-off saw, but I couldn't get
the damn thing started and was so mad that I took it back the next day
for a refund. Now I am wondering if I could buy masonary blades and
use them on an old circular saw and use that, but they are only 7"
blades (depth of cut is 2 3/8"). At that depth the cut wouldn't go all
the way throught the 4" slab. Could I cut the 2 3/8" and then just use
a sledge and hope the break happens along the control joints? Is there
another method?

I've broken up concrete before with a sledge and pick-axe, but I am
afraid of trying to remove this middle section because I don't want to
repair more than just one section if I don't have to.

The cut-off saw cost me $89 ($50 for the saw and the rest for two
throwaway blades). And I'm guessing that a contractor would charge me
$300, plus they remove/recyle the concrete.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

The cutoff saw is the safe way; saw all the way through and break up
the piece. Cutting halfway through makes it pretty likely it will
break on the joint, but it's not certain. Usually it just chips out on
the bottom leaving a clean line on top, but I've had it go both ways.

$300 sounds high, but around here (NE Ohio) I'd have trouble getting
someone to even do such a small job.

If you diy, you might want to drill a few holes in the edges of the
old slabs and insert short pieces of rebar that stick out into the new
slab to tie the parts together.

Keep in mind it's not going to match...

Good luck,

Paul