Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] schountz@yahoo.com is offline

Default Fireplace insert, wall heat and safety

Greetings all,

I'm hoping for clarification on an issue we're having with our Fuego
fireplace insert and chimney. We bought a 28 year old home last fall
that has this insert. We used it over the winter and noticed that the
upstairs bedroom wall above the fireplace gets warm; warm enough that
the room is very comfortable. We were concerned about this and called a
couple of local fireplace installers. Both told us that this was a fire
hazard, but when we called a Fuego dealer with 30-some years of
experience, he said that in such circumstance it's not uncommon for
walls next to the chimney to get warm. It seems, though, that "how
warm" is the most important question. The Fuego dealer said that if the
house is 30 years old, then it's unlikely to be a significant fire
hazard (as in, "if it were, there already would have been a fire.").

I have not looked behind the wall, but in the attic the chimney is
surrounded by cinder blocks and the blocks are touching a couple of
2-bys in the framing. Of the two local guys, one says we need an
insulated pipe put in ($1800) and the other says we need a new pipe and
insert ($3000). The Fuego dealer thinks we probably don't need
anything.

I'm hoping that someone can provide me with their informed opinion
about this, because I really hope the Fuego dealer is correct; but if
$3000 is needed to ensure the safety of my family and home, then that's
the route I'll go.

Thanks for any help.