Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Power for tablesaw in shop?

"Clint" wrote in message
newsXHKg.502160$iF6.467243@pd7tw2no...
To continue what Rich said, around here we pay for electrical power by the
kilowatt-hour. Wattage = voltage * amps. So if your tablesaw draws 15

amps
at 120v (15A * 120V = 1800W), it's the same as 7.5A @ 240V (7.5A * 240V =
1800W) in terms of actual power used, and therefore cost.

Since the same size wire will carry the same amount of amps at either
voltage, and voltage is what drops as wire runs get longer you tend to get
more power to the motor if you opt for the higher voltage.

Also if you take it to the next step and run the motors on 3 phase power
(assuming it is available) you get a bigger bang for your buck.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.