Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] basscadet75@yahoo.com is offline

Default Lowes window installation experience

dpb wrote:
As someone else says, depending on what the installer did to "fix" the
problem, if it is out of level and plumb, you may have no effective
warranty from Pella...sometimes ignoring a problem or patching around
it isn't the right solution.

You're seriously just being unnecessarily difficult. You're not
reading what I wrote and I can only surmise that at this point you're
purposely trying to find fault. I don't know how many times I need to
repeat myself, or why I should need to.

I said earlier that I had Pella look at my windows too, including
inspection and measurement. The Lowes installer did the *exact same
thing* Pella was going to do themselves. Pella looked at it and said
it would be fine; if they needed to, they would just shim and/or cut.
They then went through the entire process they would use to install the
windows and it is the exact same process Lowes used with the exception
that Lowes did not fill my counterweight voids (though they said they
would for an additional fee).

You're thinking I'm telling you the *windows* are out of plumb. I
never said that. I said the *trim* is out of plumb. Don't try to look
for fault by reading things that aren't even there. The windows are
100% straight and level. When it was necessary to do so, the installer
cut out the old trim and installed new trim (including a new sill) so
the windows would all be level.

I don't think you can assume anything about whether the house will
"settle" further or not simply based on age. The cause of the settling
needs to be investigated and alleviated or shown to be no longer a
potential problem.

I'm not "assuming" anything. You're acting like yesterday was the
first time I saw this house and hey! Let's get new windows! The house
has been inspected twice in the past year and both times *normal*
settlement was noted. Yes, one side of the house has settled a bit
more than the other. Whether it's because of what I speculated on
earlier, I really don't know - I'm not an engineer, and am more likely
to be wrong than the two engineers who *have* looked at it and
pronounced it normal settlement. They also listed window replacement
as a high priority repair.

This particular area of my house juts out a bit on the second floor,
over the porch roof. These are bay windows (original to the house) and
the bay area overhangs the load-bearing wall beneath it. The bay
window area on both sides has moved about 1 inch in the 83 years,
because it is not directly supported underneath. This is a quirk in
construction, but it's not unique to my house - many other houses in
this area are the same.

And 83-yr old "colonial"?

Colonial Revival if you want to be technical about it. Nobody uses
that term in the real world, though; not where I live, anyway. There's
no distinction made between Colonial and Colonial Revival houses, and
both exist on my block.

Anyway, I'm pretty much done defending my window installation. I mean
sheesh, you'd probably tell somebody to replace their roof because
their ceiling paint was peeling.