Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jbranchesi@gmail.com is offline

Default Ground or neutral connection?

Thanks for the responses. Yes, this is for a ceiling mounted light...

I understand now, thanks again!

wrote:
Hi folks,
I've been doing a lot of reading, but can't find the anwer to this.

I have a small lamp with 2 wires coming from it, black (hot) and white
(ground, I presume).

the spot in the wall where I want this to go, has 3 wires. Black (hot),
white (neutral), and copper (ground).

The lamp works if I attach the black wire from the wall, to the black
wire in the lamp - and the white wire from the lamp, to either the
copper or neutral wire in the wall. Which should I use from the wall -
white, or copper?

Thanks, I know this is a totally lame question... I appreciate the
help.