Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Mini Stereo Problem

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:52:57 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
:
: What is a
: rotary encoder and how does it work?
:
:Google for that term.
:
:http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd....25680700573BC0
:
Ah, thanks. I suppose the problem is arising because the light pulses
that are being detected aren't entire due to some dirt having
infiltrated the device, presumably dust or grease coated dust particles
in the case of my kitchen. So I guess the problem will worsen over time
and I may find myself trying to replace the encoder.

The diagrams in my service manual make it look accessible, but I'm not
at all sure. It might take a great deal of disassembly to get at the
control board, which is where the encoder evidently is. Even if I can
access that board, I have no idea how straightforward the process of
replacing the encoder would be. I have fair soldering skills of a pretty
conventional kind. I built a number of stereo components from kits when
I was in college. This might seriously challenge me, though. I just
don't know.