Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Coax installation

crabshell wrote:
I need to install some coax in a peer and beam house. Someone told be I
need some sort of expensive right angle drill bit. I don't want to drill a
big hole in the wall, just one large enough to run the coax through. What
do I need exactly to drill through the drywall and down through the floor
behind the drywall?

Thanks,
crabshell

I'm assuming that you are referring to construction where there is a
basement or crawl space underneath? If so the easiest way I've found is
to cut a standard outlet opening to fit an old-work plastic box and then
to use a flexible installer's bit inserted vertically into the hole and
then to drill straight down. Install the box after the hole and cable
are finished. Installer's bits are available in a wide range of lengths
but I've settled on a 4-foot bit as being able to do almost anything I
normally need. I guess the only exception would be to drill upward from
standard outlet height into an attic space (but I'm sure that somebody
makes a bit that will do it).

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]