Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Ground Wire in plastic box with plastic light fixture

On 6 Sep 2006 12:22:57 -0700, "david" wrote:

I have a plastic box that attaches to a plastic light fixture. The
plastic light fixture does not have a ground wire. What do i do with
the bare copper ground wire from the NM 12-2 romex cable.
Do i need to attach a grounding screw to the plastic box and terminate
or the wire with a wing nut in the box?

Thanks
David
Houston, TX

It would be pointless to try and ground a plastic box. No ground
screw hole.

What I do is put a wire nut on the end, and tuck it far back inside
the box. The wire nut is to prevent the free end possibly poking a
hot wire, and if the fixture later needs upgrading later, the next
electrian might need a wire nut.

imho,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com