Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Private Private is offline

Default insulation after drywall for ceiling? or before?

"M&S" wrote in message
ink.net...
wrote:

I am about to drywall and insulate my detached garage ceiling. Instead
of stapling the kraft faced pink fiberglass insulation to the ceiling
joists, I was thinking I could save a step by sheetrocking the ceiling
first and then dropping in the insulation (paper side down) and save
myself the stapling. Will I have a vapor barrier issue, or is this a
bad Idea?

We frequently insulate after hanging the board however we use continuous
poly vapor barrier and unfaced insulation almost 100% of the time. The
remainder is blown with continuous poly vapor. The end result is a job 10
times that of a paper faced job.

If you do go with insulating after you hang the ceiling just install a
continuous poly vapor barrier, hang the ceiling, then either drop in
unfaced attic batts from above or use blown. Dropping the faced batts in
from the top will leave large leaks in the vapor barrier. This could
become an issue in the event the space is ever heated which is I am sure
why you are insulating in the first place.

Mark

I agree.
Considering the almost negligible cost of poly and labor, why would anyone
NOT bother to install a poly vapor barrier before installing the drywall?
The fact the it will help to hold the (probably cheaper, I have not seen
faced fiberglass for many years) unfaced fiberglass bats in place is just a
bonus.

Most of us seem to have pink and poly in the garage for years before we get
around to putting up the drywall. It often seems to take several more years
to get the taping and mudding done.