A.Gent

Default Gravity detectors

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , brownnsharp
says...

In truth, if you took 20,000 average people, I bet not over 100 of
them could operate a lathe.

If you were willing to restrict that 20,000 to individuals
below the age of 20, I would lay odds that not over 100
of them would even know what a lathe *is*, or be
able to pick one out of a lineup, much less operate
the thing.

Not in Australia, Jim (or at least my state of NSW).
"Technology" is a mandatory subject for years 7&8 (~12-14 y.o.), and all
students study it for 200hrs over 2 years.
In *my* experience, half of that is spent in a room fitted with lathes. At
least a few of those hours are spent *on* the lathes.
If - say - 50% went on to adulthood with a working knowledge of lathes I
wouldn't be surprised. (In *my* classes its closer to 95%)

Don't give up yet.

Jeff